Monday, October 1, 2012

Hang on to your hat Kathleen...

.... I'm updating for you.

There have been a lot of car shows since Niagara-on-the-lake.  I stayed home when it was 'only' cars.

Aug 26.   Doon Heritage Park   About an hours drive away on a very warm day.  I went for the heritage buildings, the museum and lunch out.

Cadillacs in the park

Home sweet home for some lucky family.

After wandering the street of shops and prowling through houses and barns this train was the last stop before the museum building.   Great displays inside, well worth the visit.

................................

Sept. 02   Marshville Cars and Craft show 
About an hour in the opposite direction to the little town of Wainfleet and Marshville Heritage Park for more cars and this time a really really good craft show.   I bought a really great new summer hat, drooled over beautiful jewellery and let Paul wander the cars alone.

I happened o mention once that this was a model of vette I liked.  I get dragged to see everyone on display now.  I'm keeping my mouth shut these days.   

Lots of interesting things to see other than cars.  I'm trying my hand at knitting again but with needles.

This apparently is THE model cadillac that Paul likes the very very best.  He had a long chat with the owner, I found an empty lawn chair and sat.
...........................................

Sept 09.  Another weekend another show.    Rockton
This time he went alone.  The weekend was a bit wet and there was nothing but cars to see. 

This caught Paul's eye

As did this.  Note the cow in the background.  Rockton is a small farming community not far from us and this coming weekend holds the last country fair of the season.   It is always held on Canadian Thanksgiving, which is early this year. 
 ..........................................

Sept 16. Bronte Park  British Car Day
Paul waits for this one every year and every year he goes alone.  The weather is always perfect for this show.   
He might not want this model but he loves this colour.

An idea of one small corner of the cars and crowd.
..................................

Sept 20  Hamilton Harbour.   We had visitors.

Paul aboard the HMCS Ville de Quebec.  This frigate is a sister ship to the one my niece sails as Logistics Officer. Ahead is the HMCS Haida the last of the tribal class , a floating museum in our harbour.

Replica boats  1812 era.  Off the shores of the lake are two ships from the war   The Scourge and The Hamilton   

USS Hurricane.  A coastal patrol ship that has travelled all spring and summer with the Canadian ship visiting cities along the St Lawrence and the Great Lakes, again as part of the commemoration of the War of 1812 

It was a damp Thursday.  The crowds were not huge but there was a decent turnout considering it was a wet weekday.

.................................

Sept 30.   Welland for Paul and a walk for me.



My washing machine broke down 2 weeks ago.  This is NOT it's replacement.   I now have a lovely high efficiency front loader.   

Welland Ont. is near Niagara Falls, again about an hours drive.  According to Paul there was a good turn out of cars and the hot dog he had for lunch was excellent thanks to the hot peppers.

He seems to have a think about taking photos of rusty vehicles.

I went for a walk and this is what I see from the end of my street. We live on the Niagara escarpment and are near walking trails.

Which path to choose?  They both end up on the same trail just past the little island of trees.

some leaves are changing

Looking out over the city towards the bay and Lake Ontario

The bay  and out to the lake.  Ocean freighters and pleasure boats use both.  The area to the right of the apartment buildings is where the ships we toured were docked and to the left are marinas, parks and restaurants an area still being reclaimed from industry and developed for public use.. Across the bay is the city of Burlington. 


...........................

Thanks for giving me a bit of a nudge to get me organized K.     I find that I am using the computer less and seem to be keeping in touch more with Facebook than with this blog.   It would be nice to know what's new with you.

I am making small easy items with my crochet hooks and stash of yarn and have started working on a knitted scarf.  I swore I couldn't knit ( remembrance for childhood attempts ) and have found that with some guidance from the girls at the knit/crochet evening group I am actually making it work.

click on photos to see larger             links are in grey if you want more info

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

There you are!! I'm so glad you're still hanging in there...Enjoyed the car photos. A lot of those you don't see here in the States. My hubby would love to spend some time checking those out. I spend too much time on FB too, but I'm thinking I'll post something on the blog just to let you know I'm alive and well!